Starting your journey in the Corporate World
When it comes to finding a job for yourself in this big competitive corporate world, it can be overwhelming for a whole lot of young aspirants in our country. Some very relevant questions that any graduate or a job aspirant has to contend with, at the start of their careers are:
- Which sector or industry shall I start my career with?
- What would be the trajectory of my growth?
- Shall I complete my studies first or go for a job? And many more….
Besides these big questions there are always smaller but important things going on in the minds of the aspirants like:
- Where to find a relevant job for myself?
- How should I prepare myself for the interviews?
- How should I introduce myself in front of the interviewer?
- What should I wear, my body language? Etc…
These are some of the question that can eat you up and make an individual really nervous in this phase. Yes, you need to have the answers to all these questions but where would you get those answers from, becomes a big question. Google, Youtube, Relevant Applications on your mobile phones etc are great options but they are vast in nature and it is a matter of time before you get distracted or get lost in that huge pile of data. It’s important to access the information with pinpoint accuracy else it can be a long drawn and directionless effort without much success.
As an expert myself, who has placed over 5000 candidates across 50 industries with some of the biggest names in the industry like Aditya Birla, Fedex, Fortis Healthcare, HDFC Bank etc, one thing that has always stood out for me is that it’s important to prepare for the right things and finding the balance between your aspirations and skills. As long as you are willing to up skill you can spread the wings of your aspirations to an extent you wish to.
With all the experience I have gathered over the past 15 years, a Few things that as a young job aspirant you should always keep in mind before you actually decide to take that big leap for a corporate career are:
- Speak to the right set of individuals(People who have been there and done that)
- Don’t be influenced by what has happened with some individuals in a particular industry (Don’t judge the book by it’s cover)
- Take a chance (You have got nothing to lose)
- Listen to everyone but decide for yourself what you want to do, because that’s what the corporate world is all about.
“Listen to everyone but decide for yourself” because that one skill called Sound Decision Making will take you places in the corporate world.